Bus Rapid Transit service offers faster, more efficient and more reliable travel than traditional bus service. Designed for busy streets with high vehicle traffic, BRT systems can offer a number of features, including:
- Dedicated bus lanes or separate bus right of way from normal street traffic.
- Traffic signal prioritization (TSP) which extends green lights and shortens red lights for buses.
- The ability to bypass regular vehicular traffic
- Fewer stops and additional customer amenities at special kiosks including pre-board payment stations, maps and digital customer information displaying bus and train arrival information.
- A uniquely identifiable fleet with a distinct look and branding
- BRT combines the efficiency and consistency of rail rapid transit with the flexibility and comparatively lower cost of bus service. BRT service has been implemented in cities throughout the world, including several U. S. cities.